Poo Poo Paper
May 23, 2010 § Leave a comment
I bought poop today!
Turning Poo to Paper
Your source for hand made paper stationery.
The making of paper starts with the collection and processing of the dung pulp. Elephant dung is typically full of short to medium grained fibrous materials from the elephants diet which when processed makes excellent paper:
• We collect naturally dried elephant dung from elephant conservation parks and bring it back to our paper-making factory.
• We then pre-rinse the elephant dung with water, leaving only the fibrous materials from the grasses, bamboo & fruits they’ve eaten.
• Afterwards, we place the fibers into a giant pot of boiling water to ensure the fibers are super clean. After this thorough cleaning, any color that we may want to add can be added.
• Natural fibers from banana trees & pineapples are added to the dung mixture so the paper will be thicker & stronger.
• Once this is all mixed together, we separate the moist fibers into small “cakes’ or “wafers” of about 300-400 grams each.
• The cakes are spread evenly over a mesh-bottomed tray measuring about 60cm by 90cm.
• The tray is leaned up against a tree, angled toward the sun and allowed to dry naturally for a few hours.
• Once dry, we peel the sheet of paper from the mesh tray and start making Poo Poo Paper products.
This is how we made the hand made paper stationery and our how to make recycled paper process!